A few tips and guidelines for a successful flight
To ensure a successful flight, we advise you to take a few minutes to review your equipment and the conditions before going out to the field.
It's important to follow the safety guidelines before, during and after a flight.
We recommend to print this page and include it in your drone kit.
Is it your first flight?
We recommend users to fly their drone with the DJI GO app and complete at least 5 successful manual flights before operating an autonomous mission with AgroScout Sky App. Please use the QuickStart guide from DJI that came with your drone and watch DJI videos on their website for more manual control instructions.
Before you go flying
1. Check that all equipment and cables are in working condition and all batteries (drone, remote controller, tablet) are charged.
Drone’s batteries will automatically discharge to less than 60% if left with no use for more than ten days.
2. Check the MicroSD card is empty and inserted in the drone.
• If you need to clear the SD card - format it using DJI GO app.
• If that's your first time using a MicroSD card with your drone, change the storage location to SD Card (instead of internal storage) using the DJI GO app.
3. While the tablet or mobile device is connected to WIFI:
Check you have the latest versions of AgroScout Sky and DJI GO app versions - check for updates using Google Play.
After an update or first install, please open the app and log-in - an internet connection is needed for the first time (make sure that the "remember me" option is selected.)
Check you have the latest drone and remote controller firmware: open the DJI GO app when connected to the drone and wait for the update status message on the main screen of the app.
Download offline maps of the area you’re planning to fly in.
4. Check the airspace status you're planning to fly at and check for local drone laws.
If you're in the US, we recommend using the FAA app: “B4UFLY.”
5. Check the weather forecast.
It’s recommended to use the “UAV Forecast” website and app.
When you're at the field
1. Make sure the weather is suitable for flying
Check again with the forecast app if needed.
Do not fly in rain, heavy fog, bad weather or at night time.
Do not fly when winds are stronger than 18mph / 29kmh.
2. Choose a safe takeoff and landing location:
Clear area of 50ft around, not under a cover.
Far away from buildings, metal objects, cars, power lines, antennas, main roads, trees.
For mission efficiency, choose a take-off place that is close to the field you would like to scout.
3. Make sure there are no obstacles or people in the field.
Big obstacles may interrupt the drone during the mission.
4. Make sure the remote controller is set to flight mode “P”.
5. After power on, make sure the drone is in GPS mode.
Message on the remote controller’s screen should be: “READY TO GO - GPS MODE”
Do not fly if any other message or any kind of error appears. In that case, open DJI GO to get more information about the aircraft status.
If you can’t get a stable GPS signal, try moving the takeoff point to a different clear space and restart the drone.
When using the DJI Smart Controller - please open the DJI GO app first and ensure the status bar is green, showing "Ready to Go". Then, you can close the DJI GO app and open AgroScout Sky App.
During the flight
1. Maintain a visual line of sight with the drone at all time.
2. Be ready to take manual control over the drone if will be needed, using one of these methods:
Press the PAUSE button in the app
OR Change the flight mode switch (located on the right side of the controller) to "S":
The drone will hover in place and a message asking you to confirm manual control will show on the screen. After taking manual control you can switch back to P mode for more accurate controls.
OR Press the Return To Home (RTH) button in the app
OR press and hold the RTH button on the remote controller for 3 seconds:
After confirming the RTH, the drone will come back to the takeoff point automatically.
During the flight back home, you can press the Pause button on the remote controller to take manual control.
After the flight
1. Turn off the drone, remote controller and tablet.