A few tips for a successful flight!
To ensure a successful flight, we advise you to take a few minutes to check your equipment and conditions before going to the field.
It is important to follow the safety guidelines before, during, and after the flight.
We recommend you print this page and keep it in your drone kit.
Is it your first flight?
We recommend our users do at least 5 manual flights with the DJI GO app before operating an automated flight with the Agroscout SKY app.
Please read the DJI Quick Start guide that comes with your drone and watch DJI videos on their website for further instructions.
Before you go to the field
1. Check that all cables and equipment are in good condition and that all batteries are charged (Drone, remote control, tablet).
Drone batteries automatically discharge to less than 60% if left unused for more than 10 days.
2. Check that the micro SD card is empty and inserted in the drone.
• If you need to clear the SD you can use the DJI GO App to format it.
• If this is your first time using your drone, make sure to change the storage location to SD card, instead of internal storage, using the DJI GO APP.
3. While the tablet or device is connected to WIFI:
Check that you have the latest version of Agroscout Sky and DJI GO, check for updates on the Google Play Store.
After an update or first installation, please open the application and log in. Internet connection is required for the first time. (Make sure the remember me box is checked)
Check that you have the latest firmware for the drone and the controller, open the DJI GO while it's connected to the drone, and wait for the update message on the main screen.
4 . Check the airspace where you plan to fly at and check your local regulations for flying drones.
If you are in the United States, we recommend using the FAA app: “B4UFLY.”
Check the location of your planned area on the DJI Georeferenced Zones map.
Make sure it is not in a restricted area.
(Select the correct area and type of drone in the upper bar)
5. Check the weather forecast
It is recommended to use the website and app: “UAV Forecast”
When you're at the field
1. Make sure the weather is suitable for flying
Check the weather app again if necessary.
Don't fly in rain, heavy fog, bad weather, or at night.
Do not fly when wind speeds are greater than 18 mph or 29 km / hr. (If possible, use a wind meter).
2. Choose a safe take-off and landing point
Choose a safe, stable, and clean surface for taking off and landing.
Using a landing pad is highly recommended.
The area should be clear within a 50 ft radius, never undercover.
The spot should be away from buildings, metal objects, cars, power lines, antennas, main roads, trees.
For greater efficiency, choose a takeoff point close to the field you want to fly.
3. Make sure there are no obstacles or people in the field.
Large obstacles can interrupt the drone during the mission.
Please consider irrigation pivots or tall sprinklers that may be in the field.
Pay attention to vehicles and crop dusters that may be near or in the.
4. Make sure the remote is in flight mode P.
5. After turning on the controller, make sure the drone is in GPS mode.
Message on the remote control screen should say: "READY TO GO - GPS MODE"
Don't fly if another message or some kind of error appears. In that case, open DJI GO to see more information about the status of the drone.
If you don't have a good GPS signal, try moving to a different location and restart the drone.
When using the smart controller: Please open the DJI GO app first and make sure the bar is green, showing "Ready to go" then you can close the DJI GO app and open the Sky app.
1. Maintain a line of sight with the drone at all times.
2. Be ready to take manual control of the drone if needed, using one of these ways:
Click the pause button in the app
OR Toggle the flight mode switch (located on the right side of the controller) to "S" mode:
The drone will stop in place and a message will appear saying "confirm manual control" will appear on the screen. After taking manual control you can return the flight mode to P for more precise controls.
Or press the return home button in the app
Or press and hold the RTH button on the remote for 3 seconds.
After confirming the RTH, the drone will return to the take-off point automatically (the remote will beep).
During the return flight, you can press the Pause button on the remote control and take manual control of the drone.
After the flight
1. Turn off the drone, remote control, and tablet.